Friday, October 26, 2012

Weddings: A Gift for the Bride II


This project was a bit disappointing but it's done.  When I tried to use the sewing machine to sew the lace onto the cloth, the machine ate right through the lace so I switched to hand sewing and spent several sick days carefully hand whip stitching all four sides of lace onto the white square followed by hand embroidering the wedding date.

The backside where you can see the whip stitching and the embroidery back

Then I threw it in the wash - a complete necessity since I had been sick while working on it and to my horror, when it came out of the wash, I discovered the black lace had stained the white fabric!!!  Those splotchy spots on the white square are not shadows from the picture but dyed splotches from the lace and despite trying several different cleaning methods, no luck.  Glad this isn't their only gift!  I'm going to give it to my friend anyways since handkerchiefs aren't meant for staying clean but I'm sad I spent so much time and effort on making tiny little stitches only to have the final product turn out so lack-luster!  Oh well, on to better projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment